Sunday 5 February 2012

Queen of Puddings


On Friday morning I achieved my ideal and found myself shopping for the weekend in Nailsworth, one of the advantages of this is being able to peruse the country market and feeling like I’m organised and ready for the weekend before it starts.  I started in Williams where they ask me “what recipe are you cooking this weekend then?”  I confessed that it wasn't an ED recipe, instead I was cooking from my brother in laws recipe from his and Tom’s new book.  It then dawned on me that actually everything on the shopping list was ingredients for recipes from their book.  


Friday night started with a fish stew with accompanying super garlicky aioli.  Fish stew made from red mullet, mussels and prawns from Williams.  Saturday night we had a houseful, so sliders all round.  Henry’s homemade slider burgers on Tom’s ultimate burger baps, with lush salads followed by Henry’s Queen of Puddings.  And a Queen of a pudding it was, with bright pink Yorkshire Rhubarb from Bramleys.  By Sunday we were down to eleven mouths for dinner and it was the turn of the slow cooked pulled pork.  Marinaded in ale and paprika and cooked for hours till seriously tender.  We served this with oodles of seasonal veg and some paprika spiced gravy.  Then a rather unseasonal pavlova using up the last of the foraged blackberries and elderberries from the freezer. We worked up appetites with brisk walks and muddy bike rides and warmed ourselves with, woodfire and pots and pots of tea. It’s been a great weekend, no one went hungry.  
I’m hoping a year of Elizabeth David hasn’t left me too recipe book dependent. It’s certainly given me an overwhelming curiosity to try out new ones, even if they have been written by my family.  




1 comment:

  1. Hi Anna,
    Congratulations on finishing ED, an amazing feat!
    so what's the next challenge going to be?
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete